Friday, April 4, 2008

Contract signings and Vancouver comments

The Blue Jays made their Rogers Centre home opener againstthe Red Sox a bit more special on Friday when they announced they had signed right fielder Alex Rios and second baseman Aaron Hill to long-term contracts.

The Jays locked Rios up with the six-year, $64 million extension, which will begin with the 2009 season, makingthe 27-year-old Rios a key component to the organization's long-term plans.

Hill agreed to a four-year contract worth $12 million with club options for 2012, 2013 and 2014.

I think Hill is much the better deal.... I hope Rios proves me wrong and can complete a full season this year on the pace he did half a season last year.

Vancouver Jay says I missed the Burnett injury, I didn't think it was just a game twinge and not that serious .
And re intensity from Frank... I think it his own frustration coming through. He had a lousy spring and has started out same way. His interview with Tampa media last month told me that he was more concerned about his Hall of Fame numbers than getting ready for April. If he thinks he is going to get 600 HR think again Frank, at this rate you will be 50. One in 16 games in 2008 translates into 10 this season....

My other comment re intensity is that the Jays have not had this all Spring and it should come from the Manager down. Joe Maddon of the Rays has it, Giradi has it, Leyland has it... Halladay made his comments in Dunedin to same effect. I think that with Rolen's return and also BJ Ryan we may see more butts kicked in Jays dressing room but right now.... forget it....

Is anyone else concerned about Alomar getting recognition tonight ??? Fan favourite ? (says the Toronto media)
I don't think so. The lasting image of Alomar for many fans is the spitting at umpire.

And on the big game tonight... Will the Red Sox be exhausted from last two week's travel ? Will Frank catch up to Wakefield's knuckleball ? it should be slow enough even for his swing...
I do hope so....

No comments: